Magisk’s development is great these days. Even though, the developer serves for the military services, he still works out too much for Magisk. And in that process, we’re here for the Magisk v16.4 update. The update brings in a lot of bug fixes, the addition of app shortcuts, and various other features. Apart from that, Magisk Manager gets an update to v5.7.0.
So what’s new in the update? Well, most of the changes aren’t noticeable to the common users, but there are some noteworthy ones. The addition of App Shortcuts for devices running Android 7.1 or above will be saving some time for users. Magisk Hide now works better with some Samsung devices. Android P now doesn’t pose any issues while installation of Magisk Manager.
The major thing about this update is the removal of 64-bit binaries. Removing these binaries won’t be a problem for most of the apps asking for root, but some may affect. As mentioned in the changelog, the Tasker app will be the one to get hit by this first. There’s still a chance for the new developer to take up the charge and fix the issue as soon as possible. Otherwise, people with Magisk update installed might start complaining about this.
Here’s the entire changelog, in case if you want to read.
- [Daemon] Directly check logcat command instead of detecting logd, should fix logging and MagiskHide on several Samsung devices.
- [Daemon] Fix startup Magisk Manager APK installation on Android P.
- [MagiskPolicy] Switch from AOSP u:r:su:s0 to u:r:magisk:s0 to prevent conflicts.
- [MagiskPolicy] Remove unnecessary sepolicy rules to reduce security penalty.
- [Daemon] Massive re-design /sbin tmpfs overlay and daemon startup.
- [MagiskInit] Remove magiskinit_daemon, the actual magisk daemon (magiskd) shall handle everything itself.
- [Daemon] Remove post-fs stage as it is very limited and also will not work on A/B devices; replaced with a simple mount in post-fs-data, which will run ASAP even before the daemon is started.
- [General] Remove all 64-bit binaries as there is no point in using them; all binaries are now 32-bit only.
Some weirdly implemented root apps might break (e.g., Tasker, already reported to the developer), but it is not my fault.
- [resetprop] Add Protobuf encode/decode to support manipulating persist properties on Android P.
- [MagiskHide] Include app sub-services as hiding targets. This might significantly increase the number of apps that could be properly hidden.
Magisk Manager v5.7.0
- Add app shortcuts for Android 7.1+.
- Bump minimal module minMagisk requirement to 1500.
- Adjustments for new sepolicies on v16.4+.
- Fix crashes when refreshing the online repo.
As you know, you can simply get this update via the Magisk Manager. Otherwise, you can simply download the latest Magisk zip file using the instructions given from the XDA thread and flash it using a custom recovery.